Friday, November 9, 2018

Trials of Konstantine: Round 4


King K is back with his final report for VAT18!

My round 4 game was concluded yesterday. Pairings were just up, and I just chanced to meet Aresius in the Vassal lobby, so we decided to play our game.

For those of you who know Ares, he's been playing multi-activation Liberty for like ages (more specifically, since the day w3/4 dropped). He's run like a 1000 different builds, including some pretty squad-heavy ones, but now he's (almost) squad-less. He's also gone from Dodonna to Rieekan.

The basic idea is the same: use activations to stall, then BAM the last/first with the Liberty, which afterwards jumps away to safety. But now he has THREE hammerheads rather than just a ton of flotillas, so the rest of the fleet can soften up the enemy before the big strike. He's also less prone to tabling, and has better ability to table opponents, including "sweeping" damaged ships.

With fewer activations - and most likely 2nd player - I would have few advantages other than my objectives and my grav-shifted obstacles. This was going to be one tough fight!

Aresius
Commander: General Rieekan 

[ flagship ] MC80 Star Cruiser (96 points) - General Rieekan (30 points) - Mon Karren (8 points) Bail Organa (7 points) - Gunnery Team (7 points) - Engine Techs (8 points) - Spinal Armament (9 points) - X17 Turbolasers (6 points) - Leading Shots (4 points) = 175 total ship cost 

Hammerhead Scout Corvette (41 points) - Task Force Organa (1 points) - Disposable Capacitors (3 points) - Turbolaser Reroute Circuits (7 points) = 52 total ship cost 

Hammerhead Scout Corvette (41 points) - Task Force Organa (1 points) - Disposable Capacitors (3 points) - Turbolaser Reroute Circuits (7 points) = 52 total ship cost 

Hammerhead Torpedo Corvette (36 points) - Task Force Organa (1 points) - External Racks (3 points) = 40 total ship cost

GR-75 Medium Transports (18 points) - Leia Organa (3 points) - Comms Net (2 points) = 23 total ship cost

GR-75 Medium Transports (18 points) - Toryn Farr (7 points) = 25 total ship cost

1 VCX-100 Freighter ( 15 points)  = 15 total squadron cost

Unfortunately I (again) killed my logfile, so I only have pics from r5-6. However, nothing much happened r1-4. Or rather, we slowly crept towards one another, careful not to expose any weakness...

As predicted he chose 1st and picked my MW. I set up defensively to left, Ares set up very cautiously int the bottom right, going slow. This might mean a late clash, but you have to be alert: that Liberty can suddenly be right in your face at speed 4!

I rearranged the obstacles to make a little "castle" for my ships around the the sation. Not much of an advantage, but still, you take what you're offered. I chose my Comms flotilla (far left) and his Liberty as MW. I didn't really expect to get to kill the MC80, but by making it the MW ship, Ares would be forced to be extra careful with it.

So we crept towards each other. He seemed perhaps a bit too cautions, but probably wanted to maximize his activation advantage. 

This is round 5: Dictor is parked on the station (heading for the rocks), but well guarded by my ISD. Ny Suppressor/Slicer have jumped forward. It won't be slicing the Liberty, but that was never really an option (auto death sentence really). So I settle for slicing HHs to squad.

Prior to this not much happened: I attacked the VCS with my squads, hurting it and pinning it in place. My ISD intentionally rammed my Goz to stay in place. HHs took some shots at the Goz, but only took out 1 shld.


Round 5 underway. HHs taking shots at me, but not doing too much damaged bc of Brunson especially and tokens. My return fire do some decent damage, mostly thanks to DCaps. Suppressor keeps superessing and slicing. ISD sets up for a VERY nice arc for round 6, threatening all HHs and double arcing the Liberty if it dashes forward.


Start of round six. I avoid the rock with the Dcitor by making an "inside turn" to bump my ISD. This lets me back up and land on the tool. ISD take 1 hull, but will never be in any danger. Dictor land of station get immediately heal damage. This has the added benefit of keeping Dictorout of Liberty range. A rather nice move I must say!

Liberty is up close and personal, taking a rock on the way in. Two HHs are hurting BAD, and the third is headed for disaster too...but is saved by the turn limit :-D


Liberty activates top of r6, but between Brunson and Scramblers its nowhere near to killing the Dictor, who is now almost at full health due to liberal use of repair dial+token. Ares tries to jump across...and makes it. It's the closest non-overlap I've ever seen. If he hadn't made the jump, the Lib would have died, double arced by both the ISD AND the Dictor - who could also do the double ram...total overkill!

Instead the lib gets away, but angry ISD kills torp HH which turns zombie and the wounded scout near the top. Ciena kills VCX and game.


Ares lost 1 HH scout, 1 HH torp, and VCX. I lose nothing. 107-0, 7-4.

And that concludes my Konstantine run in VAT18. It's actually been kind of fun, if a little frustrating at times. In this game, and some of the others (but not vs Broba, when it really counted) I got some use of Konstantine. To truly, either of Motti or JJ would have been just as good, if not better. And oc this is the problem with Konstnatine.

Anyway, scores of 8-3, 8-3, 4-7, 7-4 gives me 27 pts and a really good rank in the Euro sector. Not enough for the cut, but I'm quite happy with my performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment