Thursday, November 8, 2018

Trials of Konstantine: Round 3


Time to finish the round 3 AAR.

Game vs Boba's Thrawn 2-ship took place right before Nordics, so I didn't have time for a writeup before, and after I wanted to finish my Nordcis AAR while they were fresh in my memory.

Anyway. Boba's 2-ship is well known to me, as it is the fleet that gave me the inspiration to my own Nordics list. And realistically there is no chance in hell that my Konstantine list can beat it.

Boba would pick 1st and my Contested Outpost. Then the likely result would be 8-3 to him - or possible worse, as he's capable of tabling me if I let him.

Name: Boba Thrawn 2-ship
Faction: Imperial
Commander: Grand Admiral Thrawn

Assault: Close-Range Intel Scan
Defense: Fighter Ambush
Navigation: Superior Positions

Imperial II (120)
• Grand Admiral Thrawn (32)
• Governor Pryce (7)
• Gunnery Team (7)
• Electronic Countermeasures (7)
• Leading Shots (4)
• Quad Battery Turrets (5)
• Avenger (5)
= 187 Points

Quasar Fire I (54)
• Captain Brunson (5)
• Flight Controllers (6)
• Boosted Comms (4)
• Squall (3)
= 72 Points

Squadrons:
• Colonel Jendon (20)
• Maarek Stele (21)
• 2 x TIE Defender Squadron (32)
• Dengar (20)
• Mauler Mithel (15)
• Captain Jonus (16)
• Black Squadron (9)
= 133 Points

Total Points: 392

Lo and behold, what went down is EXACTLY what I predicted. Only I was able to somehow only lose 7-4, which ain't a half bad result in my book.

Anyway, we set up (predictable) like this. I made a couple of "funnels" using grav shit, in a vain attempt at controlling his movement. Unfortunately Thrawn ships are REALLY agile, so I got little out of this.


My ISD sort of has to face his ISD. I have no other ship that can hope to survive, not even for a little while. My Dictor, normally so tanky vs squads, will just crumple to the Pryce last/first. So will the ISD of course, but I hope to get some good damage from it.

Meanwhile it is my hope that the Dictor can surprise Boba a bit by actively and aggressively going for the Quasar. If I can take it out, then maybe together my ISD +  Dictor can kill his ISD. I don't really expect this to happen, but it's as good a plan as any.

Start of round 2. ISD dodges the rocks and heads down the funnel. I'm still pretty happy, as I won't glide into his red range at all on round 2. Dictor moving forward. Quasar for some strange reason aiming to land on the debris. What were u thinking, Broba? It's NOT a dust field :P


Defenders kill my squads. Squall + speed 5 is amazing. Bombers start hitting my ISD in r2, but I'm still hoping. Start of r3 I'm double arced, but I'm doing relatively good all things considered. Also the Quasar landed on the debris AND I got it double arced.


And that's really all there is to say about the game. ISD activates top r3, and with consistent bombers AND really good dice, the ISD dies without ever shooting. That was unexpected and sad. However, even if I had gotten to shoot, it would only be that one shot, which would not really have changed to outcome of the game. My ISD would die round 4 anyway, and I don't have the firepower to take out his ISD.

I kill the Quasar, with a little help from Broba, who maneuvers it BAD and even has a REPAIR command lined up. Wtf!? I get to slice the ISD to Reapir a lot, so Boba's squads don't do much from round 4 and out.

At the start of round 5 I have even sliced the ISD the round before AND block the double arc with my Gozanti. It was my nicest move of the whole game :D


It ends with 7-4 to Broba. I lose 1 Goz, the ISD and both squads. He loses Quasar and Black. We got a couple of tokens each.

In this game I had zero use of Konstantine. Motti would have been IMMENSELY helpful.


No comments:

Post a Comment